Thursday 3 April 2014

Problems 3d Printing...

After over 16 attempts thus far to print my model, I have been unsuccessful. Everytime I attempt to print, it begins well, and then when I return in the morning at the opening of the fabrication lab, the model has somehow stopped printing and has either attempted to print the model in the air, or some other issue.

I showed Eliot this issue two weeks ago, in which he informed me to cut my model into quarters. When this still didn't work, we attempted using a base made in rhino/grasshopper instead of using a raft in maker bot. However, this still did not work. The problem definitely is not with the model, because I sample printed a small version of it with no problems at all. 
When Rebekah had a go assisting with the printing process we were still unable to make it work no matter what we did.

I will continue my endeavor to print - Hell, im even considering buying my own 3d printer at this stage - solely for the fact that I will be able to print around the clock, and if im there when the mistake occurs, it may give me better insight into why it keeps happening.

When I printed the model  in the smaller version, it worked fine - So this process of elimination regarding issues leaves me to believe that the machines are not very reliable. This is also based upon the fact that several others are experiencing the same sorts of difficulties. The maker bot is an excellent machine, but when its given public access, I fear that it gets proverbially thrashed - hence the reasons why the 6 machines we have access to keep printing with errors, however the machine that we dont use (the one in the back room) prints perfectly.

It could also be a temperature issue - The machines do not have much covering and so when someone has the extractor on collecting the smoke from the laser cutter, the 3d printers sacrifice temperature losses, meaning the pla cools down too quickly.

I will keep going until I find a solution. I love my attractor point model, and will undoubtedly print it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment