Thursday 27 March 2014

Draft Test Print and prepataion for the real deal

 Today I Printed a draft of my model for the second project on a smaller scale to see how it would turn out, as I had several floating cubes etc within it. Without any surprise to myself, the attractor point(the sphere) and the several tiny cubes surrounding it within close proximity fell apart as soon as I endeavored to separate it from the raft.

However, after speaking to Rebekah the other tutor, it became clear that I had to create my model to EXACT dimensions as listed in the blog address, due to the simple fact that there may be a powerhouse museum expo with our works on display.

I To solve my issue, I created a flat surface panel underneath my entire model to the specific dimensions, allowing my model to fit perfectly with the requirements.

My other issue was that the attractor point - a floating sphere  - was not able to float. I was able to solve this by making my attractor point essentially  have a pole supporting it from underneath, creating a podium style for it to sit upon.

I have to admit, this has been the most fun out of any uni project ive done thus far, simply because I know I am learning skills which will one day make me money - and lets face it, who doesn't like 3d printing?!?!

I have also posted my process of splitting the model into two - simply because the specifications require us to build to an exact size, and well, the printer cannot print that size.












No comments:

Post a Comment